Sunday, September 5, 2010

Answered prayer! And new friends...

Wow! What a day! What a sweet way to answer prayer - and in abundance! Not just one friend but a group of them! Thank you, thank you, thank you Sweet Jesus!

So...I went to bed early last night hoping to make the most of today, but still I slept late. I slept ELEVEN hours last night. How is that even possible? But it made for a slowish start to the morning...

First things first. I headed to Las Palmas, one of my favorite restaurants, for pancakes. I had fun chatting with the waiter and got to see the owner, Rene, as well. He and I had a nice conversation over breakfast. From there, it was on to church.

Yesterday, I had searched online to look for an English church service here in Antigua. I had never really heard of one...and normally I'm eager to enjoy church in Spanish...but today I was hoping for church in my own language for some reason. I had found a comment online by someone that said the church at Hermano Pedro had an English service at 11:30, so I headed that way.

As I walked in at 11:25, there was no one there. I was a little surprised by how disappointed I was. But I decided to enjoy the beauty of the church; I hadn't been to this church in a long time. Hermano Pedro is a Guatemalan who was chosen for sainthood back in 2002. It was a really huge deal the first time I was in Guatemala years ago. There is a hospital right next to the church, and they have a lot of mission teams from the States work in their hospital. They have a beautiful mural on the wall of the church representing their medical work. I like where Jesus is holding the hands of the surgeons. May it always be HIM working through me...




As I was sitting there, an American couple walked in...and then another. And then a group of young Americans came in! We ended up with a group of almost 20 people, including kids! It was SO WONDERFUL to worship with other believers in Guatemala!! The majority of them are missionaries, but there were also a couple of students. Afterwards, I had a chance to meet everyone. One girl was even from McKinney, Texas. Small world! Several of them are with the Presbyterian church and have just come to do a year of service. They invited me to lunch and then to spend the afternoon with them. It was such a fun surprise! God gave me new friends, just like I asked Him! Look at these precious people God has chosen to use to bless the people of Guatemala!
Marcia and her son, Joshua



Katherine and Marcia's baby, Ava


Eva (from Denmark), Tina, Laura (from McKinney!)


Andrew and Kristen

No comments: