Today was the best day yet! And to think it started so discouraging...
This morning we woke to rain...and lots of it! This was our last day in Kisumu and our first day of rain - so we were thankful for that. But rain had a lot of implications. It meant muddy roads and difficult transportation to Obunga. It might mean overflowing dirty ditches and jumping over rivers of sewage. It meant possible flooding within the homes we were to visit that day.
So breakfast was a bit gloomy. We decided to hang out at the hotel for the morning and pack and hope for sunshine in the afternoon.
We decided to use this time to take a trip to the chemist (aka pharmacist). I had the list of medicines that I needed to buy for the children from Monday...and a few ideas for the others of Obunga. So after breakfast, John, Ashley and I headed into town to buy some medicine. We got there with our long list, so they escorted us to the back to meet with the manager, Monica.
I would tell them the American medicine I wanted and we would see how close we could get to it. At one point, John told me how fun it was to listen to the chemist and I speak "medicine-ese." I have to admit, it was pretty fun for me to. We talked medications, and good generics, and prices, and recommended treatments for malaria. And our little pile got bigger and bigger. As we finished what I needed plus a little extra, we had spent less than $100. So I looked to John - my payment source - and asked if I could keep going. He said yes. He gave me the limit of 10,000 shillings (about $135) - and I found a way to spend every shilling.
And so we added 200 parasite tablets and 5 liters of childrens vitamins to the order to hand out to the people of Obunga.
Monica helped too. She was a very sweet and compassionate manager. When she found out who we were buying the medicines for, she began to give us discounts. She dropped the price of the parasite pills; she threw in free small bottles for the vitamins, extra creams. She was great.
Two hours later, we left with exactly 10,000 shillings worth of medicine in a cardboard box wrapped with twine.
Then we headed to the eye doctor to arrange for Shadrack's eye appointment. We paid the charge of $8 and got him an appointment for Friday morning. That's right - $8 for an appointment with the ophthalmogolist!
From there, we went to meet the rest of the group for lunch. The rain had stopped, and we were able to head to Obunga after lunch. Through some extenuating circumstances, it ended up being just me, Ashley, and John that went to Obunga with Erick and Michael - two of the older sponsored kids. We also invited Jane, one of the area community health workers to help us.
Who knew that I was about to have the best afternoon in all of Africa???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment