Sunday, August 8, 2010

Such a Sunday...

What a busy day! After breakfast, we headed to church at Prince of Peace Obunga. They were very welcoming and excited to see us. I got to share my bench with so many of my girls. If only I had more sides for them to sit next to me... I sat with Julian, Mary, Christine, and Cinthia. Everyone wanted to hold my hand...so we had a bit of a communal hand holding. We sang a lot of songs. They sounded pretty, even though I didn't know what they were saying. How cool to think that God understands their words...
Feny and her little sister Linett were sitting behind us. Feny is about 6 years old and her sister is less than 2. But I never saw Feny without her little sister. I reached my hand back and motioned for her to come up front and sit with me. Feny apparently misunderstood, and so she gave me Linett to hold. I went with the flow and took the baby. I figured that Feny could use an hour or so just being 6 and not taking care of such a little one. Linett was half asleep...and who doesn't like to hold precious little munchkins?
Well...this precious munchkin was soaking wet! Well, then I felt even worse giving her back to her sister, so I held her for an hour or so...trying to position her just right to not get me soaked and smelly. I failed miserably. By the end, I was a mess. But it was worth it to see Feny sit there by herself and be her own little person and worry just about herself. Linett was content to sleep in my arms and snore throughout the service. Until the last 20 minutes or so. Once she woke up, she wanted to have nothing to do with me and quickly went back to her sister's arms.
After church, things suddenly became very hectic. Everyone wanted to meet and greet us. The kids wanted us to play outside with them. Allison and crew were passing out applications for sponsorship for the next school year...and I was trying to get all of my new friends an application. When Allison said they needed to have a parent with them, Maureen turned and ran. She was out of the churchyard before Allison had finished her sentence. And back within 5 minutes with her mom. Talk about a girl who knows how to seize an opportunity. I was impressed!
May they all turn in applications and all find sponsors to send them to school and encourage them to know the love of Jesus and dream of the future. Work in the hearts of those at home...that You might stir the hearts of those You would have sponsor these children. I dream of the day when they will ALL have sponsors, all get quality schooling, all have enough to eat. May that day come soon, Sweet Jesus...

No comments: