Sunday, August 1, 2010

On my way...

Disclaimer: this was all added in AFTER THE FACT.

But I didn't have reliable or frequent internet in Africa. I posted the pictures on facebook, but I don't feel like they do the experience justice. Several people have asked me about my experience...so I thought this might be the best way to relive it all...day by day. I hope you will join me on my journey.

So we start on August 1. The wedding post-party lasted at the Sloan household until 3:30am. Probably not the wisest way to start my adventure...but as someone once told me, "There are only so many of these times."

After minimal sleep, extended family breakfast, last minute packing drama, lost flip flops & ipods, I finally headed to the airport excited, nervous, and exhausted. I struggled to stay awake waiting for my plane to board. And took about 8 minutes to fall asleep on the plane. Perfect planning! I slept almost the entire flight to London.

I got to London early Monday morning...where I met up with the rest of the team. We got on our second flight for another 8 1/2 hours. 24 hours after I left Texas, we touched down in Nairobi. It was about 9pm there. We went through customs & headed to the lovely Paris Hotel for a brief group meeting and a short night's sleep.

Here are just a few of the things I prayed for that day... who knew how He would answer them all and more?!?

1) May I be open to Your call and Your direction.
2) Bring me closer to You.
3) Let me see Your very nature.
4) Let my enjoy Your world that You have created.
5) Let me ease just a bit of suffering.
6) Let me show Your love to everyone.
7) Let me live completely in the here and now.
8) Remind Your children that You have remembered them, that You love them.

No comments: