Tuesday, March 23, 2010

#6) You don't get embarrassed...

You are made of finer stuff than I. My humanity was in full force today...which made Your divinity even more obvious. Interesting how it works that way...

When I made the decision to give up dating for Lent, I didn't think that it would really matter. I haven't been asked out on a date in the last 300+ days; there was no one on the horizon with any true potential; so what could 40 days hurt? I figured it was like giving up brussel sprouts. I don't eat them anyway. But God always knows better. I also sort of half hoped that reverse logic would work on God. And that giving up dating would convince Him to bring me someone...but I also knew that I cannot manipulate God that way. I wish I could sometimes...but not really. Because then I would get what I think is best, and not what He knows is best. So, I defer to His timing, His plan, His wisdom...or at least I try to.

So, it completely took me by surprise this week when I DID get asked out. I wasn't expecting that! It was actually by someone that partially sparked the meltdown on Ash Wednesday that led to giving up dating. And now I had to find a way to explain to a nice guy that I can't go to dinner until after Easter - without making it seem like I was avoiding him and without seeming like a nutcase myself.

I kept trying to think of ways to have him wait without explaining the Lent thing. Who gives up dating for Lent anyway? Okay. I admit it. I was embarrassed. Embarrassed to tell him that I had given up dating for Lent. Why? Because I felt like it made me weird. Or made me seem too religious. Or...I don't know exactly. I just didn't want to admit it. And when I realized that I wanted to hide it, I felt bad. I wanted to hide my relationship with God. Maybe not entirely, but in essence that was my problem. I was ashamed to admit I was a Christian - a real, living & breathing Christian, that talks to God and lives my life for Him and does what He tells me to do...even when that makes me different.

So I finally got the guts to tell him today. And he was a little surprised, but he didn't freak out. He didn't tell me I was weird. He didn't hang up on me. He thought it was kind of cool. He also thought that it must mean I go out ALL THE TIME if I decided to give it up for Lent. An amusing and unanticipated interpretation that couldn't be further from the truth.

Maybe this entire Lenten sacrifice was for that moment tonight. Where I stood up for my faith, where I admitted that I was His daughter and that I try to obey Him even if seems silly to others. It was hard for me...and very humbling. I can't even tell people that. How will I speak my faith to those that need to hear it? How could I lay down my life for what I believe in? I have so far to go. My heart is so frail, my humanity so unsightly today.

But in the midst of my frailty, I cling to Your strength. I'm so glad that You are God. I'm so glad that You love me unconditionally; that love has nothing to do with how well I follow Your rules, or how big I mess up, or even if I hide from You. You love me. A LOT. NO MATTER WHAT. And You're not embarrassed for anyone to know that. WOW!!! Help me be more like You.

No comments: